A colleague at work is selling two tickets for thursday's gig in Vorst. Price is 66 euro (for the two tickets). Send me an e-mail if you're interested. (He's not going at all, so you have to work a meeting point out with me)
fell of the floor, man
what we talk about
the real sugar
worst case scenario
assault on magnus
if you don't get what you want
suds & soda
(thx to Ringring on ISR)
-Fell off the floor
-Put the freaks
-The real sugar
-One advice space
-what we talk about
-Assault on Magnus
-Suds & Soda(Super Sharp/Sabotage)
-Nothing Really Ends
(thx to Jed on ISR)
Télémoustique had an interview with Tom and John Stargasm (Ghinzu) . The interview is published in this week's magazine (has anyone read it?), but you can listen to two audio-extracts (in French) on the Télémoustique-blog.
As you might have noticed, I gave a restart to the podcast. I uploaded a couple of new mp3's from Werchter 2002 and Pukkelpop 2004. I hope you like it. You can expect more the coming days and weeks.
If you have live-mp3's that you want to share with the rest of the dEUS-fans around the world, feel free to mail them to me so I can add them to the podcast. If you're not able to mail big files you can upload them to Sendspace or Yousendit and mail me the url.
- Worst Case Scenario LP
- Little Arithmetics - 7"
- Little Arithmetics - French 2track cd-single
- Theme From Turnpike - cd-single
- In A Bar, Under The Sea - 5track trailer (another one)
- Instant Street promo-cd
- In A Bar, Under The Sea - 3track trailer (3" cd)
- Fell Off The Floor, Man - 12" promo
- Nothing Really Ends - promo-single
- Humo's Rock Rally 1992
dEUS.be confirmed some new tourdates in Russia, Italy, the UK, France, Spain and the USA.
- 19/03: San Francisco, US: The Independent
- 13/04: Moscow, Russia: B2
- 15/04: St. Petersburg, Russia: Platforma
- 30/04: Bilbao, Spain: Azkena
- 01/05: Agen, France: Le Florida
- 03/05: Florence, Italy: Flog
- 04/05: Modena, Italy: Vox Club
- 05/05: London, UK: The Forum (supporting Snow Patrol)
- 06/05: Torino, Italy: Hiroshima Mon Amour
- 07/05: Treviso, Italy: New Age Club
What We Talk About (When We Talk About Love), the 2nd single from Pocket Revolution, will be released on March 6th in Belgium and on March 13th in the rest of Europe. The UK-single-release is scheduled for March 20th. Here's the tracklist:
- What we talk about (when we talk about love)
- The Real sugar (Today FM acoustic radio session)
- What we talk about (when we talk about love) (Today FM acoustic radio session)
- What we talk about (when we talk about love) (Untitled remix no 1)
- Setimientos, quando hablamos de amour
And remember: you can watch the video on dEUS.be.
The South By Southwest-schedule has been announced. dEUS will perform on March 16th in Spiro's Patio. Other bands playing the same venue that night are San Andreas (The Netherlands), Goran Gora (Latvia), Syd Matters (France) and Zenzile (France)
Studio Brussel has a dEUS-remix-contest. Everyone is invited to remix What We Talk About (When We Talk About Love) (the next single). On the Stubru-website you'll find 13 files you can use in your remix. Tom will pick the best one. The winners receives the golden disc dEUS received for Pocket Revolution. His mix will also be published on dEUS.be. Deadline is March 6th. The winner will be announced on March 13th.
If you're gonna make a remix, you can also send it to me. I will publish them on the podcast when the deadline has passed (so nobody can steal your creative work).
(thx to Hans)
There's a large interview with Tom in Le Vif/L'Express. He's talking a lot about personal stuff (the death of his father, the fact he wants to have a family once,..)
- After the cancelled gigs in The Netherlands last october the doctor asked Tom to quit smoking
- Turnpike is (or will be) used in The Sopranos
- Someone who did videoclips for The Strokes and Foo Fighters has asked them to do the next video.
- Broken Social Scene namedrops dEUS as an influence
- He's a reader of De Morgen and Gazet Van Antwerpen. He likes The Guardian too
- He once again confirms the concert against Vlaams Belang
I tried a new design for this blog. Let me know if you like it.
The topbanner is based on the South Park-dEUS Tijs created a while ago. In the left menu you'll find all stuff directly related to this blog. On the right side I've put the search box and some useful links to online music stores selling dEUS-music, eBay and Google ads. It's not finished yet, but i wanted to share it anyway. Thanks for your feedback!
- 10-dec - HOOVERPHONIC
- 11-oct - dEUS
- 13-oct - dEUS
- 11-dec - HOOVERPHONIC
- 12-oct - dEUS
- Sister Dew 7" (with poster)
- Saturday Night Special
- My Sister = My Clock (Bang! version)
- 7 days, 7 weeks promo-cd (another one)
- Little Arithmetics 7" (one and two more)
- a bootleg with live-recordings
- Roses 7" (another one)
- Theme from Turnpike 10" (sold for charity) (and another one)
- Humo's Rock Rally 1992 (first dEUS-release ever)
- dEUS-T-shirt 2005 (and another one)
The video for What We Talk About (When We Talk About Love) is available on dEUS.be. Enjoy.
And What We Talk About (When We Talk About Love) is one of the 3 new "Fresh" singles until next Friday on Pure FM, along with Ben Harper's "Better Way" and Fort Minor's "Where'd You Go".
(thx to Jyves)
Fell off the floor man
Put the freaks up front
Theme from turnpike
Assault on dEUS
If u don't get what u want
Nothing really ends
What we talk about
Suds & Soda / Sabotage
dEUS played a gig for MTV's Brand New Live in Rotterdam last tuesday. The gig will be broadcasted on February 19th between 23:00 and 23:30. Here's the setlist:
Fell Off The Floor, Man
What We Talk About (When We Talk About Love)
One Advice, Space
The Real Sugar
Nothing Really Ends
(thx to dakjuh)
Chacda, the band that played the aftershow at the dEUS-concert in the Ancienne Belgique on October 12th last year, will be playing a set with only dEUS-covers on March 21st in Het Stuk in Leuven. The gig is part of the Vadermoord-concerts, in which Belgian and Dutch bands are asked to perform songs of their idols. The same night Sioen is doing Björk.
The entire schedule:
21.3 Sioen covers Björk / Chacda covers dEUS
22.3 Jasper Steverlinck (Arid) covers Nina Simone / Nona Mez covers Buffalo Tom
28.3 Stash covers 16 Horsepower / Guy Swinnen covers Neil Young
30.3 Carol van Dyk (Bettie Serveert) covers Velvet Underground / Milow covers Oasis
31.3 Dead Souls covers Joy Division
(thx to Jyves)
Knack has a kind of special about the Belgian rockscene. Tom is talking about the dEUS-rehearsal room.
- They're currently rehearsing at Klaas' place.
- The have to warm it with a stove that needs wood every three songs
- It's a mess
- The clip for French Movies (by Magnus) was recorded there
- Their first rehearsing room was in Wommelgem, at the papercompany of Filip Eyckman's parent (Eyckmans was managing dEUS at that time)
- After Worst Case Scenario they moved to the attic of the home in the Drukkerijstraat where Tom and Stef lived together
- About the last repetition: Stéphane wanted to put out the light, but he used the wrong switch: he put off all electricity. And Klaas was programming his synthesizer at that very moment...
Other stuff: famous fans for Belgian bands (Mark 'Morphine' Sandman, Damon Albarn, Beck, Radiohead, Serj Tankian (System Of A Down) and Richard Ashcroft (The Verve) . They've even forgotten Muse.
dEUS has won 4 Zamu-awards (out of 6 nominations). They won the awards for best album, best musician (Mauro), best composer (Tom) and best rockband. Absynthe Minded, one of Tom favourite bands, received two awards: best singer and best song (My heroics, part one). The award for the best live-act went to Gabriel Rios. A complete overview of the winners can be found here.
Since dEUS was playing an in-store in Rotterdam yesterday evening, they were not at the ceremony. The show will we broadcasted on Canvas next sunday at 1 PM.
Update: Wouter was at the ceremony. Four videomessages by dEUS were aired. The band was eating French fries. Some pieces of the video for What We Talk About (When We Talk About Love) were also shown. According to Wouter it looked kitchy: a white background, the band was dressed in white, some dancers (also in white) and a lot of
flashlight-effects special effects.
Update2 : a 'still' from one of the videomessages over here. You'll notice Tom and Christian.
dEUS will be doing a couple of performances on Dutch tv the next weeks.
- Tomorrow dEUS will perform for MTV's Brand New Live
- On Valentine's day Tom will be a guest in De Wereld Draait Door
- On February 24th dEUS will be in Raymann is Laat
It's been a while since I blogged about the dEUS-items on eBay. I found some time to browse eBay, so here we go
- a Placebo / dEUS UK tour sticker
- loads of tickets for the gigs in Vorst
- Hotellounge cd-single (postcard edition) (another one)
- Little Arithmetics cd-single (digipack)
- Vooruit promo-cd
- Little Arithmetics UK promo (very rare)
- Humo promo-cd
- Suds and Soda (12 inch)
- Pocket Revolution UK promo
- Little Arithmetics 1 track
- Little Arithmetics French 2 track
- Pocket Revolution poster (another one)
- Pukkelpop 1996 bootleg
- Amsterdam 1996 bootleg
- Brussel 2005 bootleg
- Black Session 2005 bootleg
- Titres Inedits
- Instant Street (Spanish version)
- Pocket Revolution display
- 7 days, 7 weeks promo
- German tour 2005 poster
"Hoewel de groep heel groot is op het Europese vasteland, is dEUS in iets westelijkere richting nooit meer geweest dan een cultverschijnsel. Dat lijkt
onrechtvaardig, want de Antwerpse vijf behoorden tot de weinige overblijvers van
het alternatieve clubje van de jaren negentig die tegelijk melodieus en hoogst
origineel uit de hoek wisten te komen (de vaak geciteerde maar ietwat
gemakzuchtige vergelijkingspunten zijn Tom Waits, Captain Beefheart en The
Velvet Underground). Hun vierde cd klinkt rijk en gevarieerd, kronkelt langs het
filmische 'Bad Timing', de avant-funkdreun 'What We Talk About (When We Talk
About Love)' en de laatavondwals 'Nothing Really Ends'. Het gevat getitelde 'Sun
Ra' schiet zich recht naar de kosmos, intussen een donderende maar elegante baan
beschrijvend die enkel kan worden uitgetekend door muzikanten die elkaar op een
haast telepathisch manier aanvoelen. Alles wordt samengehouden door Tom Barmans kwikzilveren croon en existentialistische teksten, een zeldzame combinatie van abstractie en ontroering."
There's an interview with Stef Kamil Carlens in this week's Humo. He's talking about dEUS a couple of times.
- He knew Mark Sandman (Morphine) very well. Sandman's girlfriend's parents lived in Brussel. When he came to Belgium he always called Stef to Jam. He called Tom to party. ,,Tom is not a jammer."
- Bands with more than one songwriter are always getting in trouble after a couple of years. Ego's are getting too big. Now dEUS is Tom's band (he does most of the writing) and that's clear for everyone
- He understands Mauro is willing too play with dEUS. Stef did some session for A Song About A Girls with Mauro too. He's a songwriter and a guitarplayer and he constantly thinks what kind of stuff does this song needs. Mauro is the best possible sidekick for Tom.
- Citroën has offered dEUS 1.000.000 old Belgian francs to use one of their songs, but dEUS liked to get a little tourbus.
- They also refused an offer (4.000.000 francs) from Belgacom to play 4 gigs with a banner of the company behind them.